Tuesday, September 25, 2012

I Ran With The Big Dogs

You may know me as a crafter, thrifter, shopper, maker, blogger...but never a runner.  I finally did my first 5K run this past weekend and I am still glowing from my accomplishment.  For someone who's never even thought of running, or even liked it - this was a major milestone for me.  I was never an athlete growing up.  I played some volleyball in middle school and like I've said before I was in track in high school but was not a runner, but a thrower.  Therefore the most running that I did was half a mile or two laps around the track if I ever finished, but most of the time I walked it.  I have many friends who have done 5K's, half marathons, marathons, and triathlons and I've never had the urge to do one.  Recently my husband did the Spartan Race (5K with serious obstacle courses through the woods) with two of our friends and I was quite inspired and kind of jealous.  I told myself, one day maybe I'll get to do one.  Ok...baby steps, right?  Then one day my friend told me that he signed up for the Northeastern Big Dog 5K and suggested that I run it too.  Being an alum and that I'm still paying my loans for my college education, I have strong ties to Northeastern...so I said "oh alright".  Grumble.  Grumble.
It was a dreary and chilly day.  We had to get up early to catch the T into the city and get our bib numbers.  I didn't think I would get so nervous, but I got so nervous to the point where I thought I was going to vomit.  It was that bad.  I thought "I just have to cross the finish line" and that was the plan.  I've been training for the past few weeks by jogging around the neighborhood jogging/walking combination for about an hour.  I never jogged a full 3 miles the whole way, so I never fathomed that I would even try it...but I did it!!  Ok, I stopped once when I got a stomach cramp after drinking water (bad mistake) which slowed me down.  Still, it was a huge accomplishment.  Maybe it was running with a crowd made me push myself to pass people?  Maybe because I just wanted to finish faster than an hour or maybe even faster than 45 minutes?  Whatever it was... I finished under 35 minutes!
Miles the smart car.
It was a cloudy day by the Charles River, but a perfect day for a race.
My view while I was halfway done.
Northeastern alum, students, faculty, and friends who ran the Big Dog 5K.
Walking over Storrow Drive.
Beautiful view after the race.
Let's go NU!
I am so thankful to my husband who fully supported me and helped me train for this 5k, my friend and fellow alum Del who got me to sign up, my family who wished me good luck, my good friends and co-workers who cheered me on through texts and Facebook, and other bloggers who sent their well wishes.  I thought about all of you while I pushed myself to get to the finish line.  However, this might not be the end.  From what I hear this running thing can get addicting.

7 comments:

Courtney Erin said...

Wow, color me impressed! I'm so proud of you!!!!

Courtney ~ http://sartorialsidelines.com

Anonymous said...

Good for you, girl! I wish I could run. Very impressed & proud of you :)

xo,
Hannah
www.chillairandperfume.blogspot.com

Amber Blue Bird said...

many congrats to you! Thats a big accomplishment and you should be very proud of yourself :)

Erma said...

You did it!! Yay!! I will admit, it just might get addicting. I'm still "training" at the gym for my second 5k for which I don't know when it will be, but i'm still determined to do another one and finish at a faster speed than my first. :D

Jay tee said...

Yeaaaahhhh!! Fan-bloody-tastic! You are definitely doing a rugged maniac with me next june/july! No excuses!! xoxo

Closet Fashionista said...

Woohooo! So proud of you!!!! I wouldn't even be able to finish 1/10th of that :p
http://www.closet-fashionista.com/

Louise said...

Yay! So glad you did it! From one avid runner to a beginner...it's fun! I like running, cuz it gives me time to think...I'm in my own world, and I feel like I'm doing something great for my own health! Cheers on your first run lady! I wish you many more! =) XO

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...